I admit it, I am a cube monkey. My cube is actually an office complete with four walls and a door but is still a cube. I am luckier than the others in our office who are separated by little half-walls but I still suffer from being in the cube.
Our office has everything you would expect, the jamming copier, printers from 1987 that don't work, and a pencil counting manager. (Please to refer to the movie Office Space for a visual picture. It is very accurate.) We have an office full of women which may account for the fact that there is always drama to be had. Some of the men (and I use that term loosely) are unfortunately extensions of the women in the office.
There is the old guy who is just biding his time until he can relax. He is often spotted napping at his desk. He is quite sad at times. He has the wife who makes the to die for food for us, so we love him. We love him even though he seems to be scared to drive home in the snow and has been stranded a couple of times only to be saved by one of the girls in the office.
Maybe I am not being fair to these guys. They do bring a certain balance to the office. They don't talk shit about people in the office, and they don't go searching for gossip. (but they will contribute if given the chance. I have learned a few things from them) You don't hear them talking shit about someones hair or clothes. So they are not personal in their attacks.
One of my favorite people in the cube jungle is crazy older lady. She has been around the block. I love talking to her. She is a divorced, horny, bra-burning old school feminist who unfortunately is a liberal. (We can discuss that later). She tells people exactly the way it is. She takes no prisoners in her day to day interactions with all of us. This woman is always on the lookout for the next hot male ass she can drool over. One of them happened to be my brother in law. She only got to look at that one.
Our equipment is old but like most people in business, we are told to shut up about it, it is not in the budget to get new until the year 2055. I don't know what is in the budget for next year. I really hope we get toilet paper that fits the rolls in the bathroom. Our toilet paper roller thingy is the wrong size for the cheap ass toilet paper we buy. It is too tight on that roll so when you try to get toilet paper, you only get one square at a time. It is corporate abuse at it's finest. Not only have they gotten rid of the seat covers, you spend an hour trying to get toilet paper off of the roller thing. Moral would go up if we could only wipe our asses in a timely and effective manner.
Look for more on my life in the cube in future posts.