People have nervous little things we do. Most of mine bug the hell out of me. A co-worker told me that sometimes they ask me something and I get a goofy smile on my face. I am going to tell you why that is, sometimes when I am asked a question I don't want to answer, I can't help but smile at fate for putting me on the spot. Also it buys me time to think of an answer that is honest but not brutal.
From the time I was young, I would laugh at the most inappropriate times. Like the time I was sent to the Vice-Principals office. I giggled like an idiot. Why? Because I was nervous and I knew I was gonna get in trouble for playing cards in math class. I giggled when I got a traffic ticket. It is so embarrasing.
When I went to court for my divorce I could not quit wringing my hands. And now whenever I see my ex, I do the same thing for the first 5 minutes. It's like I know that it is not going to be good.
When I am tired I rub my head, put my hair up, or keep playing with my hair. I don't know why but everynight I do one of these things or a combo. I catch myself doing this alot during the afternoon too.
The one thing my sister and I both do, is randomly break out into song. It has almost happened at work. Here is an example. My daughter tells me a story about a boy she knows and he said he was looking for boots. I immediately start singing, "These boots are made for walking......" She hates it when I do that, and she has made me promise I will not do it in front of that boy when he is here.
It can be anything that brings it on. And it can be a song, a TV theme song or a jingle from a commercial. We don't always know the words either. We think it is funny. What is really stupid is that at times, we will both sing the same song at the same time after the same trigger phrase. It embarrases the kiddos and that makes me laugh. Why have kids if not to embarrass them?
My brother in law noticed it right away. We sing when we hear something that reminds us of a song. It is weird in a way but it is what we do.
I like finding out what quirks others have. It's not weird, we all have things we do. I called my sister a Skank one day in my dad's hearing. He gave me the run down on the skink. (Which I learned is a lizard.) He knew everything there is to know about this lizard. (Please note at one time he taught high school biology)
My dad is the ultimate science nerd. If we talk about the stars we are likely to get an astrology lesson. We love him and he is proud of his nerd status. And yes, he has a pocket protector that he uses daily. Like our singing, my dad can be set off by anything that brings to mind something of the scientific world. Unlike my sister, my dad is very interesting now that I am old enough to appreciate it. ( really, my sis is intersting too.)
Anyway, I get off track. I love watching people. I like watching the habits they have. Some people quote movie lines, some sing, some lecture, some dance, and some act shocked by it all. Those are the ones you really wanna watch. They probably have the best quirks to watch, because they are so appalled at being caught doing them.