I love reading about politics and I have definite opinions on what our elected officials are doing. I have a pocket sized copy of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. I try to stay informed.
I don't consider myself an expert or particularly knowledgeable and would not have enough facts to feel comfortable getting into an argument with Hillary Clinton. (But I think I could take that Alan Colmes in a fight.) I don't feel like I am smart enough to write about politics.
However, I have to say something about the upcoming election. Can we PLEASE have a new conservative candidate? Fred Thompson dropped out. He was the last hope for the next four years. I could have been ok with Rudy. Now? I have kinda lost interest.
People at work want to talk about voting and they consider Bush the devil. They don't have any facts to back it up other than we are at war and some mothers baby is going to get killed. One wants a woman because she is a woman (not because she is qualified). No one wants anyone to die in a war. I get that, I don't want anyone I know over there to die either. Sometimes I think we are missing the bigger picture.
I am not promoting war. But I do feel that now, more than ever, the United States needs to present strength. How many times must we be attacked to make it okay to defend? The standard answer is "well Bush lied and Iraq did not do anything to us" OOOKAY. I am not going to get into it.
I ask, what are the changes you want, how much of your paycheck are you willing to give to it, and why are you entitled to live off of someone's else's labor. Answer: Well, Bush lied and on top of that he stole the last two elections. I asked where do you thing rebate money is coming from? They think it is going to be printed at the mint. Are you fucking kidding me? One said and I quote, "I don't care where it is coming from" She doesn't care, she thinks we should just take it from the rich because they get away with hiding their money and we don't.
Maybe the stimulus package is a good idea. Maybe it's not. But at least look beyond your trip to Best Buy and see what it entails. My point? We are becoming a country full of sheep blindly following what we are told to do by the likes of our politicians, media, hollywood, and others. People don't take the time to read the fine print and that is part of the reason we are where we are today. I am not happy either. But at least I have an idea of what I am not happy about.
One lady said to me it is crazy that the Stars make so much money and our teachers don't. I can agree with that. But who has made it so that actors, sports stars and musicians make so much money? WE DO. We shell out $50 to take our family to the movies. We buy all of the sports gear we want. Maybe we should buy our children books instead of ipods, playstations, and other electronic babysitters.
One last thing, I am getting $138 back from my federal taxes, I owe the state $52, and it cost me $60 to file. I am coming out $26 ahead. I know someone who is getting thousands back while she lives off of state assistance. Newsflash toots, we'd all like to stay home and play with our kids, but some people figured out that one thing we need to teach our kids is to be a contributing member of our society by leading by example. Translation, we want to work to pay for the children we CHOSE to bring into this world. And we want to teach our kids to make responsible choices.
I could rant forever and it won't change anything. So for now, I will just let it go.