Monday, November 5, 2007

What is Reality?

I can't help it, I have a guilty secret. I watch too much reality T.V. I watch many of the shows on when I get the time. From "I Love New York" to "The Amazing Race" to "Big Brother" I watch them all. It is kinda embarrassing. So what is it about these shows that keep us going back?

Why are men and women on these dating shows and what is it about their humiliation that keeps us coming back. People lie to each other, spit on each other, and subject themselves to numerous indignities. Are they so desperate for their 15 minutes of fame that they will give up all self respect to get it? And what does it say about me, that I watch them do this?

It is actually kinda sad that seemingly normal people lose their minds on some of these shows. It is like watching a train wreck. I often wonder if they are not all staged. I remember as a kid watching wrestling. Is that what is happening here? Some of the people on these shows are soo sad that you can't help but feel sorry for them. No one wants to be rejected, why would anyone take being rejected on national T.V.

I have some theories. I believe that many of these narcissistic lunatics really don't know that the rest of the world is laughing at them. Nor do they care. Some are looking for their big break. I think some are getting paid and that is a huge motivator. I also believe that there are some people who actually believe they will find true love on T.V. or win their fortune.

What does all of this say about our culture? I don't know. I won't pretend to have any answers. I just know that someone worth having would not ask you to belittle yourself in front of the world in order to win a date or money. But what do I know? Not a damn thing.